This week I’m finally posting two entries (getting there 2015’s resolutions) and the two are going to be about books. So let’s get this party started.
Some time ago a friend asked me to recommend some books and she wanted a kind of list to have options. So this post is about that; it’s a small list of books that I have read, liked and recommend, but I want to give it a twist so a chose this books based on the opening sentence. That means that the first sentence caught me or spoke to me or made me feel something.
We all know that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover but I think that the first sentence of this books made me say “yeah, this is gonna be good” I totally judged but I wasn’t disappointed.
Some of them I read in Spanish but I’ll do my best to translate. The order is random.
- “Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.”
- Harry Potter and the philosopher’s stone by JK Rowling.
- “I still remember the sunrise when my father took me for the first time to the cementery of the forgotten books.”
- The shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. To be honest the first two pages of this book moved me a lot.
- “In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three.”
- Howl’s moving castle by Diana Wynne Jones.
- “Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy, lies a small unregarded yellow sun.”
- The Hitchhicker’s guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams.
- “If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better of reading some other book.”
- A series of unfortunate events: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket.
- “From June of the second year of college to January of the next year Tsukuru Tasaki lived thinking about dying.”
- Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami.
- “My name is Eva which means life according to a book my mother read to pick my name.”
- Eva Luna Isabel Allende. Again the whole first paragraph is excellent writing.
- “You read the announcement: an offer like that is not something that not made every day.”
- Aura by Carlos Fuentes.
- “At 22 years old, in Spring, Sumire fell in love for the first time.”
- Suptnik, my love by Haruki Murakami.
They were read at different moments of my life but every one of them gave me something more than a well spent afternoon. Hope you give some of them a try and if you have read any of them please feel free to comment.
-See you soon